Harlan Cemetery Foundation
December 18, 2019
Dear Harlan Cemetery Association lot owner or friend of the Cemetery:
The Harlan Cemetery Assoc. (est. 1872) is privately run by a volunteer five-member board - it is not owned by the City of Harlan. The Association is confronted with long-term expenses that include new concrete roadways, and monument repairs -- all on a limited permanent-care budget.
During the past five years, the Cemetery Association and it’s Foundation has:
- Replaced over 600’ of asphalt with a five-inch thick concrete roadway, removed brick pillars and installed fencing along the east entrance thru bequests by former area residents Mr and Mrs Everett Atkinson.
- Former Harlanites Dick and Barb Nelson donated funds to the Foundation for all three sculpted iron gate entrances.
- A $10,000 Foundation donation in 2012 and $12,500 in 2017 helped with the concrete roadway expansions.
- A $5,000 Foundation donation helped install fence along the entire north and east sides of the cemetery.
- An anonymous donor paid for 1,000 one-ton cement blocks for a Cyclone Ave. retaining wall system.
- A $7,795 Foundation donation to purchase software which has allowed the Harlan Cemetery to be the first in Iowa to offer a web-based search of all its cemetery plots and burials. Anyone with a laptop, iPad or iPhone-like product will be able to find where their loved one is buried.
- The Foundation has continued to support the computer software and hardware needs of the Association thru annual purchases of updated software and assists in the costs to maintain their website, harlancemetery.com.
- Significant donations from Carolyn Spearing, Pam (Gettys) Captain & Connie White has helped the Foundation tremendously and it has budgeted $40,000 for road repair in 2020.
Consider a donation:
Would you consider a $35 - $50 - $75 - $100 or more tax-deductible gift to the Cemetery Foundation to honor families and other community members who are buried there? Enclosed please find a self-addressed envelope for your contribution. Each donor will receive a thank you letter as documentation of your tax-deductible gift.
Thank you for helping us honor the memories of thousands of loved ones who are resting in the Harlan Cemetery.
Yours truly, The Board of the Harlan Cemetery Foundation
Julienne Ferry, Allan Ickes, Seth Johannsen, Dick Jones, Phyllis Lytle, Alan Mores, Bonnie Fiscus, Andy Sondag